Sunday, March 28, 2010

Confirmation Number

So there I was, looking at the computer screen, knowing the only thing standing between me and my dream was that little Submit button, and without even taking a moment to realize the enormity of the situation I pressed it. It became official. I am now a British Airlines passenger due to land in Tel Aviv via Heathrow on May 5th at 5:20am Israel time (sorry to whichever family member is picking me up).

Staring at my confirmation number a rush of adrenalin, joy, excitement and nerves washed over me. My heart was racing, I was light headed and I was pretty sure if I wasn’t at work I would have burst into sobbing tears. I wanted to scream: I DID IT! I made my dream come true! What have you done today!? But I couldn’t do that, so I wiped away the few tears that managed to eek through, took a deep breath and updated my Facebook status. :)

All I could think was less than six months ago, when my life felt like it was falling into pieces like a 1,000 piece jigsaw puzzle, I told myself I was moving to Israel for the summer, and now it’s a reality. I’m doing it. You know, before, life was just so difficult. I think in images and the strongest image that comes to mind is that of a jigsaw puzzle that has been put together all wrong. Pieces jammed together, torn and smushed, making a picture of nothing at all. So yes, my life did fall into pieces, but now all of those pieces are free to be put in a better space. To be put back together properly where they are meant to be. And now my life can make a beautiful picture, instead of a jumbled mess.

I feel hopeful today.

Countdown: 37 days til takeoff!

No comments:

Post a Comment